Thursday, December 29, 2011

broken

I am the owner of a broken down car.
I know 'who cares', its not a very prestigious club, but I am stuck because I hold on to peices of metal without life in them.They are not easy things to process and get closure from.
I inherited this stange affilation to ferrous objects with wheels. I remember talking with Dad about a particular car the family had and expressing my thoughts on its value and what should be done with it. I said " Its just a bucket of bolts Dad lets take it down the scrapper"
I might as well have been swearing!
Dads reply "Its not a bucket of bolts 'Its a good little car'".
To Dad this car had history and He had developed a realtionship with it that would have been hurt or broken if He had 'betrayed' the car by taking it to the scrap dealer.

Dad had owned many cars but this was a GTE it was the sports model that He brought just prior to meeting my mother and it was our family car for 10 years or more. We had fixed it many times, even rebuilt the engine on the kitchen table, been on family camping holidays, I learnt to drive in it and crashed it the same day. Stuff had happened in that car. As things had broken on it they where not replaced and so in its latter stages it had no carpet or door trims where missing and it was a bit unreliable. But I used to dream at night of restoring its former glory, sometimes I would get out the pieces of trim that had long ago been seperated from there postions on the car and sit them back in place and imagine this machine as new again. It was not to be.
Eventually we found a buyer with a apreciation for what this car was really worth who made promises of restoring it as we had not been able to manage. This was a last a good home to let go of our cherished conveance to safe hands . And so the parting was achieved!

Now I have the same problem again and this is me the same person who has declared many times my desire to be without a car.

What is my problem.

1 comment:

Susie said...

You have good intention. Many a person has said this about you Haydn. Even people we know (but you don't) who have heard your story...